ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Scientific Advisory Committee – utilize the existing membership of KCALSI Scientific Advisory Committee as the core of this group. All five current members are internationally prominent US scientists, all of whom are members of the National Academies of Science. Consider expanding the committee to seven by addition of private sector representatives. Key responsibilities:
- Provide the Board with a broad overview of key emerging and future areas of life sciences research;
- Review and assess the productivity and success of KCALSI research programs and initiatives;
- Prepare an executive summary report for presentation to the KCALSI CEO and Board of Directors highlighting the strengths and weaknesses of ongoing research programs and initiatives. Specific recommendations for improvements, continuation or termination of funding, and new areas of research for consideration would be included;
- Assist the KCALSI CEO and Board of Directors with the identification and vetting of target candidate scientists for recruitment under the Fund of Funds umbrella and assist with the selection of scientists to undertake peer review of specific research initiatives or opportunities.
- At the request of the President, review directed KCALSI fund commitments to ensure they meet the criteria for inclusion in KCALSI supported research initiatives and assist in the preparation of recommendations to the Board of Directors for concurrence.